Monday, December 24, 2007

Eggnog Apple Walnut Pancakes

Pancakes are one of my favorite things. Pancakes made with eggnog, apples, walnuts, and drizzled with caramel sauce are now my all time favorite pancake...ever.




This was one of those "I wonder..." recipes. We wanted pancakes. And we had eggnog. What would eggnog pancakes be like? And the rest just fell in line. I have since discovered that there are a bunch of eggnog pancake recipes online, but none with apples and walnuts that I could find...and they are what really make these pancakes work. These turned out fluffy and tender, and the eggnog makes them incredibly rich. We ate them with tofu bacon strips from Vegan With A Vengeance.

1 and 1/2 cup flour (I used spelt)
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
freshly grated nutmeg (NOT the rabbit)
substitute for 2 eggs (I used flax eggs- 1 Tbsp. ground flax + 3 Tbsp. water = one egg)
1 and 1/2 cup soy eggnog
1 and 1/2 Tbsp. melted Earth Balance (or other margarine)
1 apple (I used a Cameo) thinly sliced and chopped
Chopped Walnuts--I just added a couple of big handfuls


Giant Pancake of Doom

Combine the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl combine the wet ingredients. Stir the wet into the dry until just combined. Add the apples and walnuts and give it a few more stirs. Cook on a nonstick skillet (or whatever) and serve with crushed walnuts and caramel sauce. Don't add any sugar to the batter, because the eggnog is plenty sweet already. For the sauce I just heated up some Earth Balance and sugar until the sugar was dissolved, and thinned it with a little soy milk. These were so good that the two of us ate the whole batch. Hey, we were really hungry. So if you are cooking for several people you might make extra.


I only use Nutmeg approved apples.

The best pancakes ever.

5 comments:

nolajazz said...

I notice you have grated nutmeg in your ingredients list...you didn't grate your bunny did you?

Jenny Wren said...

NOOO! I was on my way to add a note about that very thing when I saw your comment. Yeah, no bunnies were harmed in the making of these pancakes. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenny,
I found your blog the other day, printed off the recipe for the pancakes, and forgot to comment! That gave me time to actually make them. I adore pancakes, and these are superb (though I did substitute spelt for the regular flour). Just curious, what brand of soynog did you use? (I used Vitasoy). I've got a fruit-based pancake on my blog as well if you're interested (that one made with protein powder).
Really enjoy your blog (and Nutmeg!).
Ricki

Jenny Wren said...

Hey Ricki- Thanks for the feedback on the pancakes. Coincidentally, I used spelt flour too, but neglected to specify. (taking care of that now...) I almost always use it in place of wheat flour. I used Silk Nog in mine. I've never tried the Vitasoy nog...do you like it? I'm bookmarking your blog...I look forward to reading it!

Anonymous said...

This would be absolutely wonderful in the "Peanut butter jelly deli". Yuuummmmmy!